Sunday, June 9, 2013

Bye bye harmful UV rays

With heat rising to all time record highs we need to make sure we are protecting ourselves against harmful ultraviolet rays.  Both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB)  can cause skin cancer.  UVA rays are linked with having deep skin damage effects such as premature aging and ultraviolet B rays cause sunburn.  Ouch!

The US Food and Drug Administration as well as The American Academy of Dermatology have dubbed sunscreen as both safe and effective ways to protect skin against harmful sun rays. 

With all the different types of sunscreens out there claiming to help protect you, it may be confusing as to what to get and spend your money on.  I'll let you in on some secrets on how and when to apply, what I look for, and what my personal favorites are!

If you know you will be outside after 10 a.m. make sure you are reapplying at least an ounce of SPF constantly.  I prefer using a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.  The Sun Protection Factor allows you to stay in the sun for a longer amount of time without burning.  I have naturally tan skin and it usually takes me about an hour before I start to redden but using an SPF 30 lets me stay in the sun for 30 times as long without burning.  An easy mathematical way to figure out which type you need is taking the number of minutes it takes you to burn without using sunblock and multiplying that number by the SPF.  In my case I would times 60 minutes by a 30 SPF meaning I could stay in the sun for 1800 minutes.  

I also look for the words UVA/UVB protection or broad spectrum to make sure my sunscreen is fighting against both ultraviolet rays.  Having my sunscreen be noncomedogenic and dermatologist recommended is important to me so I'm not clogging my pores.  If you know you will be outside exercising or swimming, it would be best to use sunscreens that are water resistant or water proof.  

If you are someone who forgets to put on sunscreen make it part of your morning ritual.  I apply sunscreen everyday of the year rain or shine before I put on my foundation.  It is getting increasingly easy to incorporate   sunscreen in your routine because they have foundations and powders that have SPF in them.  

During the summer I apply sunscreen everywhere and I make sure it is applied at least 15-20 minutes before I go out in the sun.  Every other day of the year I make sure to apply sunscreen to my face, ears, neck, and hands.  I don't skip out on applying sunscreen to my neck and hands because I want to prevent wrinkles and age spots in these areas for as long as possible.

I have a few go to favorites of all different price ranges that I feel protect me best.  My absolute favorite I use year round is SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50 which can be purchased at http://www.skinceuticals.com/.  This product works fabulous and glides on so smoothly with a universal tint.  In all my years testing sunscreen I have not found a product that feels as lightweight as this.  Another bonus with this product is that it is paraben free, chemical-filter free and it's water resistant.  My drug store favorite and something that is a lot easier on your wallet is Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Broad Spectrum SPF 55.  I like this sunscreen because when I have make-up on and sweat it doesn't show streaks of white rolling down my face that I have found common in other brands.  Not cute.  During the summer I like to use tinted moisturizer for extra protection and coverage and this summer I have definitely been getting into the BB Cream trend.  My personal favorites that I use are Too Faced Tinted Beauty Balm in SPF 20 for a dewy, fresh, and healthy look , Miracle Skin Transformer SPF 20 which glides on smooth, and Shiseido Urban Environment Tinted UV Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 43 if I'm in a hurry!


There is no reason not to lather up in that sunscreen!  Remember what I told you and do your skin a favor and protect yourself not only from harmful UVA and UVB rays but help prevent fine lines, wrinkles, crows feet, and sun spots.  For more information on your specific skin type take the Fitzpatrick skin quiz on the Skin Cancer Foundation website which measures your genetic disposition and reaction to sun exposure to see where your skin fits in.

Have fun in the sun!

Limited Edition Super Size- $65.00


Available at CVS- $9.99
Available at Sephora- $34
Available at Sephora- $48
Available at Sephora- $30.00








No comments:

Post a Comment