Thursday, July 11, 2013

Kick That Oily Hair to the Curb

Has your hair been a little too oily lately? Even after a couple hours of washing it you still notice that your roots look greasy.  Sound familiar?

Well you have got some build up going on on top of that head of yours.  Build up is caused from hair products, shampoos, and conditioners.  Some easy tips to keep those oily roots at bay is to use a clarifying shampoo, stop touching your hair during the day because of the oil from your fingertips, and don't put conditioner on your roots every time.  I like to run my conditioner from where my ear is to the ends of my hair.  Some experts suggest to wash your hair every other day but that is just a suggestion and not something I follow.  

To strip your hair of the gunk and build up all you need is vinegar, water, and a sink or spray bottle.  I recommend doing this treatment once or twice a month depending on how much build up you get.  The easiest way for me is to fill my bathroom sink up with about 4 cups of water and 4 tablespoons of vinegar.  For every cup of water use 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar.  I brush my hair really quick to break up any oil from my roots and dunk my head in the mixture.  While my head is in the sink I take my fingertips and work the water and vinegar through my roots first and then work my way down.  I focus on my roots for about a minute and then the rest of my hair for 30 seconds.  My hair is very long so if you have medium or short length hair you only need to work the mixture through your hair for a minute.  

I have had friends who have done this with me and they say that my way gets them teary eyed because the vinegar is so strong, so for those ladies I put the water and vinegar in a spray bottle so they can spray it on before their shower.  

Once you are done working the mixture in your hair go ahead and hop in the shower and rinse it off.  Follow with your shampoo and only use conditioner on the lower half of your hair.  

If you absolutely cannot stand the smell of vinegar I suggest using Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo once a week and you can buy this for $5 at Target or Walmart.

Below I have pictures of clarifying shampoos I like to use.

I hope this helps keep your strands oil free! Let me know how it works for you.

Good Girls Looking Fabulous Facebook Page

GIOVANNI 50 50 BALANCED- Has an amazing citrus scent and feels so great in your hair.  I  like to use this shampoo daily or alternate it with another shampoo. 

Paul Mitchell Three Clarifying Shampoo- I started using this shampoo when I was a high school swimmer.  You just need this one once  a week to get that volume back.


TRESemme Purify & Replenish  Deep Cleanse Shampoo-  I  like TRESemme products and this one has Vitamin C in it and can be used daily or you can alternate between another shampoo.

Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo- This drugstore brand comes in at under $2 and it  gets the job done.  



No comments:

Post a Comment